[NVDA-dev] [NVDA] #884: NVDA crashes Windows when viewing prefered wireless networks

NVDA Trac noreply+nvdaTrac at nvaccess.org
Sun Sep 5 06:35:03 UTC 2010

#884: NVDA crashes Windows when viewing prefered wireless networks
------------------------------------------------------------------+---------
 Reporter:  elliott94                                             |       Owner:
     Type:  defect                                                |      Status:  new
Blockedby:                                                        |    Blocking:
------------------------------------------------------------------+---------

Old description:

> I saw this behaviour on another machine a couple of months ago, but now
> I've seen it on my netbook as well.
>
> When using the Wireless 0 Configuration Service that's built-in to
> Windows XP and you view your list of prefered wireless networks, NVDA
> appears to crash Windows, and the only way that I've found to get control
> back is to do a hard restart.
> I'm unable to attach a log; I've not able to obtain one before Windows
> crashes.
> Keystrokes such as alt-tabbing don't work, however you can still use NVDA
> keystrokes to read the time status, etc.
>
> Steps to repro:
>
> 1. Open your Wireless Network Connection.
> 2. If already conected, press the "View Wireless Networks" button.
> 3. Press the "Change Order of Prefered Networks" button.
>
> At this point NVDA should crash.
> It should also be noted that this behaviour can't always be seen, but
> nine times out of ten Windows will crash.
>
> Using XP with SP3.
> This doesn't happen under Windows 7, and I can't remember if it happened
> in 2010.1.

New description:

 I saw this behaviour on another machine a couple of months ago, but now
 I've seen it on my netbook as well.

 When using the Wireless 0 Configuration Service that's built-in to Windows
 XP and you view your list of prefered wireless networks, NVDA appears to
 crash Windows, and the only way that I've found to get control back is to
 do a hard restart.
 I'm unable to attach a log; I've not able to obtain one before Windows
 crashes.
 Keystrokes such as alt-tabbing don't work, however you can still use NVDA
 keystrokes to read the time status, etc.

 Steps to repro:

 1. Open your Wireless Network Connection.
 2. If already conected, press the "View Wireless Networks" button.
 3. Press the "Change Order of Prefered Networks" button.

 At this point NVDA and Windows should crash.

--

Comment(by elliott94):

 Another note: other screen readers such as JAWS work fine under this
 screen.

--
Ticket URL: <http://www.nvda-project.org/ticket/884#comment:1>
NVDA <http://www.nvda-project.org/>